Monday, May 11, 2009

Get Amarok 1.4 In Kubuntu 9.04

Amarok 2 hasundone all the good work done by Amarok 1.4
Almost everyone who loved the 1.4 Amarok hates the new Amarok 2. Even I didn't like the new buttons.
Unfortunately Kubuntu comes with Amarok 2 by default. However if you prefer Amarok 1.4 you can install it by follwing these instructions:


Add the PPA to your sources by creating a new file for the Amarok PPA:
gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/amarok.list

Then in that new file add the following two lines:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main


Add the key for the PPA:
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com \
0x1d7e9dd033e89ba781e32a24b9f1c432ae74ae63


Now update your sources, remove Amarok2 and install Amarok1.4:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get remove amarok
sudo apt-get install amarok14



 

6 comments:

  1. Very nice, worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schweeet!!!
    Love Jaunty (sorta) Hate Amarok 2

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the correct expression is: w00t!!

    thanks, can't believe they included Amarok 2.0.2 in Jaunty...was looking for another music player till I found this blog post! :D

    xTx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an Amarok developer and even I think selecting Amarok 2.0.2 was a mistake for Kubuntu.

    Amarok 2.1 is pretty awesome though! So another solution for some folks might be to add the backports repo.

    I'm going to use these instructions on my girlfriends computer. She has a need to play these primitive plastic discs for some reason. :) (cd playing and ripping will be in Amarok 2.2).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get the error:
    "E: Type 'sudo' is not known in line 4 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/amarok.list"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    Your instructions are great! I didn't like amarok 2.2 and missed 1.4 now I finally switched.
    But I've got problem witch collection creating - after selecting base directory nothing happen, I've got selected SQLite as database maybe this is the problem?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Content

Related Posts with Thumbnails