Here is some of Synapse's Key Features that already stand out from all the others:
- Grid View - A Compact way to see/browse your friends!
- Activity Feed - Unified View for friends activity ie; Twitter, IM Status, Music playing & More!
- Photo Sharing - Flickr Integration, Drag & Drop images to chat window!
- Web Preview - Get a glance of a webpage or video behind a link right in your chat window when you send/share a link!
- Code Sharing - Syntax Highlighted code blocks for easiy collaboration
- Highly Extensible - Plugins are added with extreme ease, and the architecture wont hold developers back in creating new plugins/addons
Please note that Synapse is only supported on Ubuntu version 8.10 (Intrepid) or later. If you are running an older version, you’ll need to upgrade first.
- Save this key file to your desktop.
- At the top of your screen, select System → Administration → Software Sources.
- On the Ubuntu Software tab, make sure that both main and universe are checked.
- On the Authentication tab, click the Import Key File button and select the key file you saved in step 1.
- On the Third-Party Software tab, click the Add button, and paste the appropriate APT line for your version of Ubuntu:
Jaunty 9.04: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/firerabbit/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
- After adding the source, press the the Close button at the bottom of the Software Sources window. When asked, click Refresh.
- Back at the top of your screen, select Applications → Add/Remove. Search for synapse, then in the results check the box next to Synapse Instant Messenger, then click Apply Changes.
- NOTE: Some users have reported Synapse does not show up under Add/Remove. If you are unable to find Synapse using Add/Remove or Synaptic, Select Applications → Accessories → Terminal, and then type sudo apt-get install synapse.