As we all know, the new ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx is now available for download . It is a very nice operating system, I posted earlier a Quick-Review on Ubuntu, you can check it out and see what’s new and cool about the new Ubuntu.
However in this post, and as a web developer, I will recommend the things that web developers can’t live without in this open source operating system. We will look at development tools and applications that would increase productivity as well as applications that we developers can’t live without in our personal or work life.
If the application has a * beside it’s name that means it can be downloaded from Ubuntu’s Software Center – in Applications menu.
- Firefox : You don’t have to worry about this , it is already pre-installed in Ubuntu , however here some very useful Firefox extensions .
- Chrome * : It is a fast web browser that is always helpful in quick search and email checking ( specially if you have Gmail ). Here are some useful extensions to install in your Chrome. Download.
Chrome on Ubuntu 10.04
Skype in Ubuntu
- Eclipse*, The famous open-source IDE for (mainly) Java Developers, and many frameworks such as Ruby on Rails , C/C++, etc. Download.
Eclipse in Ubuntu
- Aptana*, is a Development tool based on Eclipse for Ruby on Rails Development, can be downloaded as
MonoDevelop Main Window
Kate in Ubuntu
8 ) GIMP
Gimp in Linux
Kile in Linux
- Terminator*, is an application for running multiple terminals in one window, saves time and effort. Download.
Terminator in Linux
- Docky*, is an interactive dock to replace the bottom panel, it is Mac-OS-dock-like . However very useful and good design. Download.
Docky in Linux
12) Ubuntu Tweak
- Ubuntu Tweak*, is a user friendly application to config Ubuntu , install new application and add new features, Download.
Ubuntu Tweak in Linux
- DropBox*, is a software to sync your data Online for multiple computer access and backup, starting with 2GB free, Download.
DropBox in Ubuntu
VLc in Ubuntu
15) Virtual Box
- Sun Virtual Box*, well it is a sun product (never the less it is owned by Oracle) it’s an application for running virtual machines on the local machine, it is useful for running windows over Ubuntu, or running any other operating system. Download Sun Virtual Box in Linux For more useful articles like this visit http://sheshtawy.wordpress.com